The general objective of the Raffles Institution Primary Mathematics World Contest (RIPMWC), is to increase interest in Mathematics and to develop problem solving ability through a friendly Mathematics contest for Primary School pupils.
Aims of RIPMWC
- To highlight the importance of Mathematics.
- To give primary school students an opportunity to discover talent in Mathematics.
- To benchmark students' Mathematics standards on an international platform.
- To select a team of 4 students to represent Singapore for the Primary Mathematics World Contest (PMWC) conducted by Po Leung Kuk Organization, Hong Kong.
- There will be two categories in the contest, the Junior Category and the Open Category.
- The Junior Category will be open to all Primary 1 – 5 pupils.
- The Open Category will be open to all Primary 6 pupils.
- There is no age limit for either category of pupils.
- Round 1 is for all participants. It will be a 60 minutes online test, consisting of 20 multiple-choice questions. Participants will take the test from their respective primary schools.
- Round 2 is only for the top 50 participants from each of the Junior and Open categories succeeding from Round 1. It will be a 60 minutes written paper, consisting of 15 open ended questions. Participants from Singapore schools will take this test in Raffles Institution.
Schools are requested to register their details for the World Contest along with their list of participants and teacher-in-charge details. Learn how to register your students for the contest.
To help participants for the contest, Raffles Institution together with our IT and pedagogy partner, HeyMath!, has developed a Preparatory Course.
This online material consists of selected questions from past RIPMWC contests. Participants may access it as often as they want and may attempt the questions as practice. Fully worked out solutions are given for all questions making this ideal for independent learning.
RIPMWC is open to all Primary school students. There is no limit to the number of participants per school.
Both the Junior and Open Categories are targeted at the high ability pupils in the respective levels. However, only Primary 6 pupils who participated in the Open Category will be invited to attend the Mathematics Contest training programme for the preparation of the Po Leung Kuk Contest to be held in Hong Kong in July 2012.
Early Bird Registration
- Schools should upload the total expected number of participants for both categories.
- Teacher-in-charge will have to submit the complete list of participants by February 10, 2012.
- More participants can be added further, once regular registrations have begun. However, schools who decide to upgrade their tiers will need to pay the difference in registration fee.
Regular registrations start from January 9, 2012 and extends till March 2, 2012. Please see payment section for pricing details.
- Schools can register as many students as they want.
- Teacher-in-charge will have to submit the complete list of participants by March 2, 2011.
- Addition and deletion of participants are NOT allowed once registration is closed; however the Teacher-in-charge can edit the details of the participants.
- Schools are requested to choose one Teacher-in-charge (School Math Head or Lead Teacher) who will be responsible for school registration and managing participants list.
- At first, the Teacher-in-charge must register their school online to take part in RIPMWC. An activation key will be sent from Raffles Institution.
- Upon successful activation, the Teacher-in-charge will be e-mailed an ID and password which they could use to login.
- Teacher-in-charge may opt to subscribe Preparatory Course material for all or selected number of their participants during registration. No refunds will be provided once the subscriptions are activated.
- No refunds will be given for participants who are not able to participate in the contest.
- The registration fee depends on the number of participants appearing for the contest in both the categories.
- Early bird registrants who've opted for preparatory course will enjoy discounted rates on course material per participant.
- As a gesture of goodwill to all participating schools, HeyMath! will be offering free accounts for their Math teachers.
- The registration fee structure for RIPMWC 2012 per school is as follows:
Tier Number of participants (for both Categories) Registration fees Free HeyMath! Teacher Accounts Preparatory course price per participant (optional) Early Bird Regular 1 1-10 S$200 3 Teachers S$33 S$36 2 11-50 S$400 For one level S$30 S$33 3 51-100 S$700 Maths Department S$27 S$30 4 101-150 S$975 Maths Department S$24 S$27 5 151-300 S$1,200 Maths Department S$21 S$24 Additional enrollment (over 300 participants) is S$4 per participant. Online Subscription by individuals is S$42
- Payment may be made through IFAAS (Cluster or School Fund) or by credit card.
- For payment via IFAAS, please email email@example.com if your school/cluster is included in the online Vendors@Gov portal (www.vendors.gov.sg) as you will receive invoices electronically via Vendors@Gov portal. Please credit to Sankhyaa Learning (P) Ltd., Vendor ID: MOE900036.
- For payment via credit card, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request for an electronic invoice via PayPal.
- Payment for all Early Bird registrations must reach HeyMath! before February 10, 2012 and for all Regular registrations before March 26, 2012.
- No refunds will be given for students who do not appear for the contest.
- Round 1 of 2012 RIPMWC will be held on March 30, 2012.
- Round 2 of 2012 RIPMWC will be held on April 27, 2012.
- To help invigilators and participants familiarize Round 1 of the contest, a Mock Test using the online platform will be open from March 12, 2012 to March 25, 2012. All schools may optionally conduct this mock test, to simulate the actual contest, for their invigilators and participants can better familiarize. If a participant is not able to take the Mock Test from school, they can do so from home.
- Round 1 will be a 60 minutes online test, consisting of 20 multiple-choice questions (with options A - E). Participants will take the test from their respective primary schools.
- Round 2 will be a 60 minutes written paper, consisting of 15 open ended questions.
- Round 1 is for all participants. It will be held in the respective primary schools. Schools will provide teachers as invigilators for this round.
- Round 2 is only for the top 50 participants succeeding from both categories in Round 1.
- All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation from Raffles Institution and HeyMath!. Once the results are announced, the certificates will be available online and may be printed by the respective participants.
- The certificates will also be printed by HeyMath! and distributed to the schools in April/May 2012.
- The top 50 participants from both the categories in Round 1 will be invited for Round 2 of the contest.
- Based on the final results of both rounds:
- Team Prizes will be awarded to top 3 schools with highest accumulative scores, based on their top 4 rankers. Schools with less than 4 participants will not be eligible for the team prize.
- A prize presentation ceremony will be held after Round 2 of the contest.
Here are a few ways you can contact us.
The easiest way to get in touch with us is by sending a message using the form provided below. Alternatively, please email or call us for any assistance.
Contact UsContest Information
Mrs. Jasmine Chong
(Head/Mathematics, Raffles Institution)
Mr. Kelwyn NG
Mr. Joshua Heng
(Senior Relationship Manager, HeyMath!)
Ms. Veena Aravind
(Manager - Product Expert, HeyMath!)
Please ensure the following computer system requirement are met on the day of the contest:
256 MB RAM
Internet connection (512 kbps)
Internet Explorer 8+
Encoding needs to be set as 'Western European' instead of 'Unicode'.
All students with distinctions from both categories will be invited to Raffles Institution to participate in the Round 2 RIPMWC contest.
It will be a 60 minutes written paper, consisting of 15 open ended questions. Participants from Singapore schools will take this test in Raffles Institution.
Students are to report in their school uniform at Stamford training room (Year 5 - 6 campus) by 1.45pm on 27th April 2012 (Friday).
Please check with your teachers for more information.